Open DMG File
DMG file is used by Apple Mac OS X Disk Image files. Mac OS X natively support DMG files with the bundled Apple Disk Utility, and can mount and treat them as though they are physical disk volumes. Mac OS Classic originally used the IMG file format for the same purposes, though this has now been superseded by DMG format.
DMG files are similar in nature to other disk image files such as ISO in that they contain a folder and file structure which can be mounted and treated like a physical volume. As well as browsing the contents of a DMG file, it can also be used as the source to create CD or DVD copies. However, DMG files can use a variety of different file systems including HFS, HFS+, Linux and Fat32, and are usually compressed, which may make them incompatible with other software on other operating systems such as Windows. DMG files are often used to distribute software in the same manner as an EXE file is used for the Windows platform, and may be password protected to prevent unauthorized users mounting and using the image.
You can open DMG file in Mac OS X using the Apple Disk Utility, which is bundled as part of the operating system. However, the DMG file format is new to OS X and as such is not compatible with previous versions of Mac OS. DMG files are specific to Mac OS X, though can be opened in Windows using an application such as TransMac. Additionally, tools such as IsoBuster and DMG2ISO can be used to convert DMG files to more recognizable formats such as File extension ISO or File extension BIN, which can be opened using a wide range of applications or burnt straight to disc using software such as Roxio or Nero.
Open DMG File on Windows OS
- Find a DMG file in question in Windows File Explorer and double click on it.
- If a file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the DMG file in question.
- If you know the application which can open DMG file then run it and see if there is a File->Open option in the application main menu.
- If you don't know the application which can open DMG file then try to search for "DMG wiki", "application to open DMG file" or "DMG file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open DMG file
Rate this page: 5/5 based on 11 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open DMG files, file extension dmg and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...